Monday, July 2, 2012

The Giving Tree - bringing books to life

 Reading 'The Giving Tree' by Shel Silverstein became Emma's favorite book for our bedtime story several weeks ago. I love reading it as much as Emma loves hearing it. The story is a wonderful contrast of selfishness and selflessness. It is also a reminder of how we can deplete our resources almost without thinking.

I love to bring books to life whenever I can for Emma. She actually gave me the idea of bringing books to life when she wanted muffin mix on a grocery shopping trip after reading 'If You Give a Moose a Muffin' by Laura Joffe Numeroff.

One afternoon I decided to make her a leaf crown to play 'king of the forest'.

I used the same technique with the leaves that I use to make clover crowns and it worked well. It was actually easier for me with leaves, a bit sappy, but easier.

I don't know how other people make them, but I french braid the stems trying to always introduce the new stem from the right side.  The leaf crowns last longer than the clover ones. Emma had fun wearing it, but had to share with her baby Belle doll. Guess I'll have to make two next time.

What books are your kid's favorites and have you thought of how to bring them to 'life'?








No comments:

Post a Comment